Instructor: Ke Wang
- Email: kewang AT ust.hk
- Office: 3491
- Office hour: M/W 10:30-11:30, or make an appointment.
- Section L3, MWF: 09:30PM — 10:20PM, Rm 4334.
- Section L4, MWF: 13:30PM — 14:20PM, Rm 4334.
Tutorial: Please check class schedule and location by yourself (Here is the link). We will start tutorials from September 9.
TA: Leung Ho Ming, malhm AT ust.hk. Check out his website.
Practice Problems (13th edition)
Online Homework: WeBWork
Mathhelp: Math Support Center (MSC)
Course Description: 3 credit units. No prerequisite.This course teaches basic application techniques in single-variable calculus and linear algebra. Key topics include: financial mathematics, systems of linear equations and matrices, functions and graphing, derivatives and optimization, integration and applications.
Course content (Chapter numbering based on the 13th Edition):
- Chapter 3. Mathematics of Finance (3.1-3.4)
- Chapter 4. Systems of Linear Equations; Matrices (4.1-4.7)
- Chapter 10. Limits and the Derivative (10.4-10.5)
- Chapter 11. Additional Derivative Topics (11.1-11.6)
- Chapter 12. Graphing and Optimization (12.1-12.2, 12.4-12.6)
- Chapter 13. Integration (13.1-13.2, 13.4-13.5)
- Chapter 14. Additional Integration Topics (14.1-14.3)
Textbook: College Mathematics for Business, Economics, Life Sciences, and Social Sciences (Thirteenth Edition), by R. Barnett, M. Ziegler and K. Byleen, PEARSON new international Edition.
- Keep QUIET.
- Attend the class ON TIME and sit in the front rows.
- NO EATING.
- Turn OFF Cell phones and other electronic devices.
Grading Policy: no extra credit.
- Weekly practice problems (0%) – No need to hand in, but useful.
- Online homework (WeBWork) (10%)
- Midterm Exam 1 (25%), 10:30am-12:00pm, 8 October 2016 (Saturday), LTC, 2464 and 2465
- Midterm Exam 2 (25%),10:30am-12:00pm, 12 November 2016 (Saturday), LTC, 2464 and 2465
- Final Exam (40%), 12:30PM-2:30PM, 14 December 2016 (Wednesday), S H Ho Sports Hall
Academic Integrity: Students are required to maintain the highest standards of academic integrity. Click the above website for university regulation. No cheating will be tolerated. Honesty is the best policy.